Tuesday 27 August 2013

Winning the Bug-Off and Fishing Contests in New Leaf

One would imagine that the rules for assessing Insects and Fish in order to judge the winners of the Contests in Animal Crossing's New Leaf would be the same, but they are quite different.  The Fishing Contest is quite straightforward and victory depends solely on submitting the Fish of the LARGEST size.  That is all one has to do.  Full stop.

The Bug-Off, which is the Insect Contest, is very different.  The point system is entirely RANDOM, apart from a general assessment that gives some types of insects greater values than others.  The number of points given to any specific insect, however, are random. 

After I had caught insects at the island in order to be able to submit large ones for the Contest, writing the size of each down in a notebook, I returned to my village to begin my submissions.  In my first Bug-Off, I made the error of submitting my best insect first.  I therefore only won the Gold Trophy and did not even see the limited edition furniture that can be obtained for preliminary victories.  This time, I intended to collect as many pieces of furniture as possible.

I found, however, that a small Miyama Stag with a description of no particular colour or lustre to recommend it received a larger point value than a large Miyama Stag over which he waxed lyrical.  I then submitted the same Atlas Beetle twice without saving after it was given low points.  The first time, it was given 90 points, insufficient to best the 95 point insect I had submitted previously.  The second time, it was given 75 points!

No comments:

Post a Comment